Owing to the success and high demand for our English Language courses, the British Council Palestine is recruiting for fluent English speakers interested in becoming teachers to join its successful English teacher Training Scheme.
To apply candidates must:
- Be fluent in English (certified by an education in an English speaking country, or an IETLS band 7 or above score).
- Hold a degree in English language or literature, or from an English medium University.
- Be flexible, reliable, highly motivated, an excellent team player and able to work independently.
- Have a strong interest and commitment to working with children of all ages, and be willing to train to teach children.
- Be passionate and interested in helping others to develop their skills.
- Be committed to training, developing and working in Palestine as a teacher of both adults and children of all ages, for at least 2 years (if accepted you will be asked to sign a letter of commitment).
- Be willing to work on Saturdays.
- Be willing to work in Ramallah and Jerusalem Teaching Centres.
- Be available for full-time unpaid training in Amman in Amman October - November 2016.
The British Council will:
- Shortlist and select suitable candidates for the scheme.
- Fund 50% of the course and travel to study for the CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching) in Amman (full cost of course and expenses and approximately £2000).
- Provide a loan to cover the remaining 50% of the course, travel and living costs for the CELTA, and recover this from your salary during your first year of work.
- Offer a full training and development programme alongside a reduced teaching timetable to successful candidates who achieve the CELTA and meet our recruitment criteria.
How to Apply?
If you meet the criteria and are happy with the terms and conditions above, we would like to hear from you.
- Send your CV in English (maximum 3 A4 pages)
- Covering letter (maximum 500 words) explaining why you think you are suitable.
- Send the CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 September 2016.
We are looking for candidates based in or near to Ramallah, to work primarily in our Ramallah language Centres. Most teaching takes place during the evenings from 16.00 to 20.30. Saturday classes take place between 9.00 and 17.00. Candidates able to travel easily to Ramallah, e.g from Jerusalem, will be considered, but must be able and willing to make this journey on a daily basis. Candidates from further away (e.g. Hebron or Nablus areas) should not apply.
We are also interested to hear from anyone who is currently based in the Palestine, has a CELTA certificate, and is interested in working with us on an hourly-paid basis- you must have permissions to live and work here in order to be considered.
The British Council believes that all children have potential and that every child matters - everywhere in the world. The British Council affirms that the position that all children have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse as ser out in article 19, UNCRC,1989.