Kids Read is an award winning initiative that encourages a love of reading in children. Reading opens up a world of opportunities for children exposing them to other cultures, attitudes, and issues such as the environment. Good reading habits established early, improve later performance in a range of life skills as well as developing language and critical thinking skills.
Sponsored by HSBC Bank Middle East Ltd and Affiliates, the project is in its fourth consecutive year and takes place across nine countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
In Palestine, we:
- work with children across 28 schools in the Nablus, Bethlehem and Ramallah/ Al Bireh districts
- provide schools with a collection of approximately 100 books and accompanying resources in their own cabinet that encourage children to move from teacher-led to independent reading
- provide teacher training, lesson plans and relevant resources for teachers to use with their students both inside and outside the classroom
- work with HSBC employees to host regular storytelling and activity events for children and parents in the wider community
- hold workshops to increase parents’ understanding of how to support their children’s learning of English.